Resting Bitch Face or RBF, the description given to women who look, um, bitchy even when they’re not, is being debated everywhere. And I’ve never been so happy. Though, judging by my own RBF, you’d never know it.
As a woman who has gone through life being asked if I’m okay or if I’m mad, being told I’m scary or that I have a bad attitude, and simply being misunderstood by those who don’t know me well, I’m relieved this “syndrome” is finally being given the attention it deserves.
In case you’re the only person on Earth who hasn't gotten the message (and I say this with zero bitchiness whatsoever), you can watch the RBF (formerly known as Bitchy Resting Face) public service announcement here.
We're not bad people. Really, we’re not. But, because of our condition, life and, consequently, dating is a tad bit harder for us than it is for those chronically “perky” women so many men believe they want.
Today, I’m bringing guys everywhere THIS public service announcement: Don’t let our RBF scare you off. If you do, you could be missing out on the woman of your dreams. Hey, that woman might even be me, and two years post-divorce it's safe to say I'm not getting any younger! So, without further adieu, here are seven reasons why you should date a woman with RBF.
1. We’re mysterious. No matter how hard you try, you'll never know what we're thinking, and that makes us intriguing. Take the fictional Bella Swan in the Twilight saga. Her vampire boyfriend, Edward Cullen, was willing to take his own bitch-face beauty with him into eternity, probably because that's how long it will take him to finally figure her out. What a great way to keep a relationship's mystery alive. Or, in this case, dead.
2. We’re unapproachable. Suffering from RBF is like having a built-in man repellent. Our bitch-face foretells rejection clear across a room, often leaving us in social situations like Carrie on prom night. Date us and you won't be facing much competition from pick-up artists. Just keep us off online dating sites. We thrive in controlled environments, particularly ones we can control (but, of course, without the accompanying bitchiness).
3. We age gracefully. That’s because we don’t waste our smiles on just anyone or anything. Check out the absence of crow’s feet around our eyes. Can those non-bitch-face women say the same? “I. Don’t. Think. So,” she said without a hint of bitchiness.
4. When we smile, it’s genuine. You may feel like you’re dating one of the Queen’s Guard but, I assure you, we’re much better in bed. In fact, sex is one of the best ways to get us to lose our inhi-bitch-ions.
5. We’re spontaneous. Since we usually only look bitchy, when we actually become bitchy we may take you by surprise. At that point, you’ll likely be begging for our RBF back.
6. We’re interested. Hey, we’re still with you, aren’t we? Actions… Words… This idiom doesn’t only apply to men.
7. We’re worth the effort. Because maybe, just maybe, behind that RBF you fear you'll find a dynamic and complex woman who has been waiting her whole life for someone to understand her. The question is, will that someone be you?
What dating challenges have you faced after divorce?