Hi, gorgeous! If you were expecting another lesson in contouring and other similar beauty techniques when you came to this page, you can stop reading right away – that’s not what you’ll be getting. We are more about health and beauty interlinking, their mutual (im)balancing and all the ways you can enhance the quality of your life by making all the right, healthy moves.
With modern-day makeup expansion significantly changing our aesthetic expectations, virtually everything about the way we are approaching health and beauty has changed. However, while the imminent influence of the mass media is undeniable, maybe even unalterable, we can still individually move from the expected, and turn to personal alterations that will agree with the real-life and move away from the picture-perfect (unreal) reality.
Here are the behaviors that directly affect our physical appearance and what we can do to fix them:
You are what you ingest
1. Food, beverages, and skin
The type of food we eat, as well as the type of drinks we consume, will very much (up to 80%, the other 20% go to genetics factor) influence and condition not only our health but the irritability and elasticity of our skin. With the crazy working hours, we are all subjected to (especially single moms who are carrying the world on their shoulders), it can get pretty hard and demand to saying “No” to a deep fried dish and choosing something green and healthy over it. After all, it’s keeping you full, it’s cheap and you don’t have to bother making it yourself. No wonder your skin became reddish and irritated!
You owe it to yourself to start paying attention to what you eat; you don’t have to make the change right away but rather – opt for a steady, gradual transition that will end in success.
To keep your bodies and skin healthy, consume a lot of antioxidants. They work towards defending your cells against the damage of oxidative stress. Oxidative stress is a chemical process where free radicals attack healthy cells and cause premature aging. Increasing the antioxidants intake will help maintain healthy skin earlier on in life and slow down the aging process.
Antioxidants are “found in the forms of vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin A (beta-carotene), selenium and are typically found in foods such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and beans. Other components that are important for healthy skin is omega 3 and sulfur”.
2. Tobacco and teeth
By affecting the connection between bone, soft tissue, and your teeth, smoking (as well as other tobacco products) can lead to gum disease. Smokers are more susceptible to infections, with smoking leading to various dental problems, including: tooth discoloration and bad breath, increased loss of bone within the jaw, inflammation of the salivary gland openings on the roof of the mouth, increased risk of leukoplakia, white patches inside the mouth and increased buildup of plaque and tartar on the teeth.
Smokers are also at risk of developing gum disease, a leading cause of tooth loss and at the increased risk of developing oral cancer that is often connected with the root canal damages. Many cases of the root canal damages may appear without symptom. Smokers also face delayed healing process following tooth extraction, periodontal treatment, or oral surgery. So, the next time you feel like having a cigarette, think twice.
3. Water and weight
Apart from being the number one skin cleanser, water is perfect for healthy digestion and weight loss. By consuming a lot of water throughout the day, the toxins are flush out through urine, stool and/or sweating, leaving your skin glowing. Then, the digestive tract is speeding up, helping your body lose the extra weight.
Make sure you always have a bottle of water with you; the recommended water intake is about 8 glasses, but we’re voting for 2-3 liters.
4. No Barbie, but better
All the celebrities we’re gawking at have had some form of corrective surgery done in order to achieve the naturally impossible shape, leaving the rest of us feeling bad in our own skin.
If you are living on a tight schedule and simply can’t find the time for intense gym workouts, go for a walk instead. Walk to work and back, to the shops, or to pick up the kids. When you have the time, play with your kids outside – it’s the perfect form of exercise. Go for a run, if you can. Vacuum clean every day! The point is to engage in activity that gets your heart pumping. This way you are not only working on shedding the extra pounds, but you are keeping your body and mind active, contributing to your overall health increase.
The key to living a happy life and feeling good being who you are is to drop the expectations and embrace yourself. Be healthy and love yourself; your body is your temple – respect it.