Now that, that “cargo full of love and devotion” is sitting on the ocean floor isn’t it time for you to once again, “rock the boat?” You set your sails and navigated the storm of divorce, you deserve to not only take a fresh look at life but to also create a fresh new life for yourself.
Before your marriage, you had a great sense of who you were and what you wanted out of life. Or, maybe you didn’t. Either way, it’s time to start over and rock your world, shake it up and turn it into something that fills you up spiritually and emotionally.
Below are 6 ways to create a fresh new life after divorce:
1. Dream big! What are some goals you’ve had in the past but were unable to obtain? Revisit those goals or, set new ones. Challenge yourself and go for the “gusto.” Make a point of seeing just how much you are capable of achieving in life.
2. Create new experiences! When you define yourself by your relationship status you limit the possibility of having new adventures. Instead of focusing on past or future relationships, focus on all the things you want to do in life and then go out and do them. If it is a new relationship you are interested in, you will find one via new experiences.
3. Have an attitude of gratitude! Divorce is no piece of cake, it isn’t a walk in the park but it is a great learning experience. Rejoice in all you’ve learned about yourself and relationships and take those lessons out into the world with you while dreaming big and creating new experiences.
4. Add some flair to your personal style! Trash those Mom jeans and sweatpants in favor of body-flattering fashions that make the statement you wish to make about yourself. Nothing solidifies the confidence you feel on the inside like looking confident on the outside.
Don’t let anyone fault you for wanting to look good while creating your new life. Go brave with a new hairstyle, change up the way you wear makeup buy clothes you feel buoyant in and get out and tackle your new life or, at least touch it on the shoulder and let it know you are there.
5. Make your home, your own! You are now decorating for one, surround yourself with furnishings and trimmings that express who you are as a person. When I was married I had to get a stamp of approval from my ex for every change I made to our living environment. Nothing in our home felt like it was mine alone. This is your opportunity to wipe the slate clean and make your home, your own.
6. Get engaged! No, not that kind of engaged. You don’t want to put the cart before the horse. Get engaged in life! Mix, mingle and get out and about. Regardless of your age, there are ample opportunities for the newly single to enjoy the company and engage in activities with other like-minded singles. Get online, search for singles groups in your area. You will find something you wish to participate in. Relish in your newly single status, savor your family and the new friends you make and all the world has to offer.
Once the dust has settled from all the divorce drama it is possible to create a life you are happy with. If you can view the possibilities ahead with excitement and throw all the power you have into making some waves you’ll find that life after divorce is nothing short of fun.