When life gets complicated, it can be difficult to keep things simple. But after much reflection, a reality check, and a good swift kick in the butt, this little lady is making some changes. Seven months ago, I embarked on a writing challenge to stretch myself as a novice writer, explore new territories, share my life experiences (dating, single parenthood, graduate studies, etc), and hopefully offer up inspiration into another person’s life.
Sadly, my blogging posts took a wrong turn and I found myself in a dark and whiny place. Focus shifted from positive feelings to endless bitching and moaning about life in the dating world. No wonder I was left feeling pretty jaded and drained. Before I completely throw in the towel, I have made an executive decision to put an end to my quest for “love” and high speed dating. I am tired of it. I am sure you are tired of it as well. Finally, I feel liberated from the pressure to find “the one” and get centered. I surrender and vow to get back to the basics of life. Kicking complaining or worries out the door. Inviting positive and loving thoughts into my life. I know. I know. I sound like Tony Robbins and Oprah Winfrey right now. You know what, awesome then!
There are some changes made to my little ole blog. Sweet Cicily is going to K.I.S.S. I am going to Keep It Simple Silly! Our energy flows where our attention goes. So tonight’s entry is dedicated to the simple things in my house that make me happy! I hope tonight’s entry inspired you to ponder what simple things you already have make you happy. Would love to hear feedback!
1. Homemade Sweet Tea – Making a batch of sweet tea reminds me of growing up in Plant City. It is a piece of the South that I miss. Oh, plus it is LOADED with sugar. Who wouldn’t love that?!
2. My Desk – I love my little corner in my living room. It is my favorite spot in the house. I put the desk together myself. It houses my iMac. My Vision/Prayer Boards are placed above my desk as a daily reminder. Little post its with inspirational words of wisdom and love brighten up my work area.
3. Mr Alligator – He makes me smile and he reminds me of Florida. I have this fascination with alligators.
4. Jack – my amazing little boy who changed my life forever. He is very silly, loving, and smart as a whip. I want to be a better person because of my son.
5. Glasses – I have been wearing big chunky glasses since the sixth grade. It is my signature look. Despite corrective eye surgery, I think I will be rocking these bad boys into old age. Don’t forget, glasses are smexy!
6. NETFLIX – It has changed my life. I love NETFLIXING. My girlfriend introduced this to me years ago and I love it. Instant movies and television shows. Cancelled my cable bill three years ago and have not looked back.
7. Family & Friends Fridge – If I love ya, you know you are on my fridge. I need a bigger fridge because so many sides are covered. It makes me happy seeing reminders of all the people I love in my life!
8. My Boston Red Sox cap – I have had to replace three of these in Hawaii. I absolutely love Boston. I went to college in Boston and visit every few years. Boston will always be in my heart. Lived down the street from Fenway and was able to attend a few games. I miss baseball on the mainland. I love you Boston!
9. Super Heros – My little boy is in love with super heros. He is constantly dressed up as Spiderman, Ironman, Wolverine, etc. It brings me joy seeing him so imaginative and happy! I know this is just a short time in his life, so I am soaking up every super hero moment I can.
10. Magical Makeup – My girlfriend introduced me to eyeshadow primer so my makeup sticks ALL DAY. It comes second to my Bobbi Brown Under Eye Brightener. Want to look like you have slept for ten hours a night, touch up with a bit of this magical makeup. You will thank me later!
11. Prayers – I could not live without praying. Morning, noon, and night. My prayers are simple but allow me to keep grounded.
12. First Racing Medal – I set out to do my first obstacle course earlier this year. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined I would be a runner. I thought runners were crazy! Now add a military obstacle course and rolling around in mud. Best time in my life. I pushed myself hard and made it over the physical and proverbial walls. My medal reminds me I am strong, brave, and persistent.