Woman have coping skills that men don’t which help her heal, move on and be happier after divorce.
A study by Kingston University meant to analyze the negative impact of trauma on men and women came up with some surprising findings about divorce and women. It would seem, women are happier after divorce than men.
In the study, researchers surveyed 10,000 people in the U.K. between the ages of sixteen and sixty. In the survey participants were asked to rate their happiness before and after their divorce. During a 20-year period, researchers found that women were happier and more satisfied with their lives after divorce.
“In the study we took into account the fact that divorce can sometimes have a negative financial impact on women, but despite that it still makes them much happier than men,” Professor Yannis Georgellis, Director of the Centre for Research in Employment, Skills and Society (CRESS) at Kingston Business School, said.
So, what it is about women that enables them to move on to a more fulfilling life after divorce? Why do women handle divorce better than men? I’m sure that some would argue it is because more women file for divorce than men, that women are happier because they are getting what they want.
That argument only holds water if you delve into the many reasons women file for divorce. And, there are many reasons women file for a divorce and not all of those reasons have anything to do with falling out of love or no longer being happy in the marriage or getting what they want. The last thing most women who file for a divorce want is a divorce.
What most women want is a healthy marriage and once she realizes that isn’t what she is going to get, in today’s society she has no qualms about filing for a divorce.
4 common reasons women file for a divorce
1. She has been abandoned and left with no recourse but to file for a divorce and pursue child support via the family court system.
2. Her husband suffers a midlife crisis and endangers her financial security, emotional security and behaves in a manner that is destructive to her and her future welfare.
3. Her husband is abusive, and she has no recourse when protecting herself other than to file for a divorce and put distance between herself and the abuser.
4. Her husband has an affair, moves out of the marital home, and in with the other woman leaving her responsible for financial maintenance of the home and family.
The reason for the divorce is not a factor in how well a woman will heal and move on with her life once she is divorced. Divorce can be a hard choice to make but once it is made a woman has other choices she can make. She can give into the trauma of the divorce or rebuild her life and get on with the business of living. Most choose to get on the with the business of living.
6 reasons women are happier after divorce than men
1. Women are more likely than men to seek help for the emotional trauma caused by divorced for a therapist.
2. Women are more likely than men to surround themselves with a positive support system such as friends and family.
3. Women have different emotional coping strategies. While men look outward when seeking comfort from emotional pain, women look inward. They take an internal inventory of the role they played in the demise of the marriage, they work at getting their emotional “ducks in a row” and letting go of the past so they can focus on the future.
4. Women are less likely to turn to alcohol, drugs, new relationships and casual sex to distract them from the trauma of divorce.
5. Women are more likely to seek out new experiences after divorce, experiences that enrich their
6. Women are more likely to prioritize their needs. They will put an effort into staying physically healthy during the trauma of divorce. They will have more focus on eating properly and working out in an effort to stave off illness and depression.
Women are no stronger emotionally than men. They do, however, use different coping skills than men when dealing with emotional trauma and, based on the study, those skills make it possible for women to move on and be happier than men after divorce.