“Money, it turned out, was exactly like sex, you thought of nothing else if you didn’t have it and thought of other things if you did.”
-James Arthur Baldwin
Money Mondays debuts this evening on Sweet Cicily. One o’clock in the morning is drawing near and an early morning run is just a few short hours away. Going to have to make this one a “quickie” writing entry.
If you haven’t already noticed, all this fiscal cliff discussion has resulted in further pay cuts in our take home pay. Personally, the Social Security tax increase took another seventy dollars out of my monthly budget. Let’s not forget my $500 monthly decrease in pay (after taxes), so the State of Hawaii D.O.E can rebalance it’s budget. Sadly, after ten years of teaching, I make substantially less than when I was a novice teacher fresh out of college.
Let’s not forget my $200 increase in rent. That is $700 cut out of my current monthly budget. What The What?!
Complaining does not help. Face it, all Americans are sharing the same challenges. However, careful budgeting and reassessing your financial situation can prevent you falling off your own fiscal cliff.
After taking a good look at my pay stub, I jokingly told my assistant, we were either going to have to take a part time at Jamba Juice or start turning tricks to supplement our incomes. No wonder that Breaking Bad teacher decided to go into the lucrative business of METH distribution.
Nearly two years ago, I came across this really funny, interesting, and practical personal finance blog named Budgets Are Sexy by J. Money. I would recommend taking a few minutes to peruse his website. Over time, I realized that budget was not a negative word. In fact, it was damn sexy!
Although I was joking about the turning tricks, I wondered what kind of creative side hustles budget savvy folks have given a twirl. As for myself, when the furloughs in Hawaii closed the schools and took a huge chunk out of my pay, I began tutoring. I have even offered my child sitting services to families in my building. What might you do to earn a little extra cash? What would be your creative side hustle?
A guest contributor on J. Money’s blog shared her experience on life as a “Phone Actress” to supplement her income. Not only was it honest, but really entertaining. Hope you enjoyed this food for thought about money.
Great part of the read was the benefits listed of becoming a “Phone Actress”.
- Job security. The sex industry really doesn’t experience a recession. As long as there are men (and a few women) on the planet, I will have a job.
- Flexible hours. Some companies allow you to work as little as 10 hours a week, and you can log on at will. At the other end, some companies require you to work fulltime with a set schedule.
- You are a 1099 employee, so you are your own boss in a lot of ways.
- You get to meet a lot of interesting people.
- You can work in your PJs.
- You learn a lot of new sexual concepts. I had no clue that Icing is a fetish where the man wants to be a Sugar Daddy. The first time a client mentioned Icing, I thought he wanted me to take a piece of ice and tease him with it.
- It gives you pointers to use in your own sex life to keep it hot, if you have one.
- You work from home.
- You have the opportunity to work 24/7 since phone sex companies never close.
If you would like to read this post, please follow the link below: