“You’re supposed to be the leading lady of your own life for God’s sake!”
With students out of school, my university on Winter break and Jack heading to his dad’s for Christmas for two weeks, I am taking a much needed mental vacation, from my very hectic life. What better way to kick off my HOLIDAY break with my favorite chick flick “The Holiday”.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE movies so much. We have the ability to escape reality for a mere two hours, for less than a $10 movie ticket or the cost of a DVD. Realizing I would be spending the holidays alone this year, I decided to load up on movies at Target last week. I’m super duper stoked to find all my favorite movies for $5 each. Let the Chick Flick marathon begin…
Sometimes, I come across a movie, that just speaks to my soul. Kate Winslet’s “The Holiday” was calling out to me. Me. Me. Pick Me. Pick Me. So I did. Basically, the story is a bout two single women, in different countries, who swap homes for a holiday, after having their hearts broken.
I absolutely could relate to Kate Winslet’s character. Loving a man, who did not give his heart back, on top of him being a total wanker. Except, she had called hers Jasper and mine was Mr. Separated. Years wasted. Shoots. Was this movie about my life, except the main character was a British lady?
Don’t you wish, we could see our lives clearly, as if we were watching a movie? You know, like when you yell at the television or screen.
Don’t go outside!
NOOO…It’s not what you think.
Girl, that guy is a jerk!
How sweet, they are falling in love.
What are you thinking?!
Anyways, as the women, switch lives, a beautiful story of friendship, self-reflection AND blossoming romance unfolds, on both sides of the pond. We even get a glimpse of hope and the human spirit. At the end of the day, we all want the same things: family, friends, llfe and love.
The Holidays To Kick Off The Holidays
As a single woman, I not only live it, but completely understand where the characters were coming from. Just a nice girl, looking for for a good guy to fall in love. When it doesn’t work out, she runs away to the other side of the world. Does that sound like someone you know? HHMMMMM….
Here is the BEST part about the movie. While on holiday in America, she befriends, a cute little old man, who was a former Hollywood writer. When sharing about the man who broke her heart, back home, he offered this simple advice.
Arthur Abbott: “Iris, in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend.”
Iris: “You’re so right. You’re supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for god’s sake! Arthur, I’ve been going to a therapist for three years, and she’s never explained things to me that well. That was brilliant. Brutal, but brilliant.”
Are You A JLO or IDK Who She Is Best Friend
Hearing that line, was like getting punched in the stomach. OMG. I have spent my entire life, as the “best friend”. It was about fucking time, I began behaving like the leading lady! One of my closest friends, said that we should live our lives, as if someone would make a movie out of it.
After adopting this “leading lady” philosophy, I changed my actions, words and my entire life. It was up to me now, to not just follow a script, someone else wrote, but write the whole damn story myself. We could spend our whole lives wishing, passively waiting for someone to rescue us. Why wait? Why not TAKE CHARGE of your life.
I Became My Own Leading Lady!
So what does a leading lady look like?
1. Leading ladies are beautiful both INSIDE and OUTSIDE. She knows she is beautiful, but has a humbled heart. She carries herself with grace, especially when under pressure. A woman like this has a WINNING smile and personality.
2. Leading ladies go after their dreams. She isn’t afraid to start a business of her own or go back to school to get a degree. A woman like this will travel the world solo, without hesitation or batting an eye. If she wants it, she does not wait for someone to give it to her, she gets it herself. Leading ladies don’t wish, they simply just do.
3. Leading ladies embody CONFIDENCE. She knows exactly WHO she is, what she wants and makes it happen. She knows how to strut her stuff on the red carpet of life.
4. Leading ladies are SMART and SEXY… She is the SMEXIEST woman you will ever know. She is not afraid to be ambitious, intelligent, happy, interesting, funny, flirty and sexy. A leading lady has her act together. She is never helpless or needy, she’s GOT THIS!
5. A Leading Lady knows she deserves a leading man, so refuses to settle. She walks away from wankers, goes about living her very full life and can recognize a quality leading man, when she meets him.
6. A Leading Lady does not give a damn. She does what she wants. Totally authentic, unapolegtic for who she is as a person and is completely direct. Doesn’t mean she is an uber bitch, this lady has GUMPTION and sticks to her guns.
7. Leading Ladies plays by their own rules. She is resourceful, self reliant and lives by her own standards in life. Her “aim” in life, is to be happy, follow her heart and not only play games, but to be victorious in the end.
It was Shakespeare that once said, “All the worlds a stage, And all the men and women merely players.” What role have you played? The best friend or the leading lady?
What is your favorite CHICK FLICK?
What is your leading lady moment?