Another simple, yet filling, dish you can make while your head is somewhere else. Make extra and throw it in the freezer.
- 1 box of ziti (or penne) noodles, I like Barillia‘s white fiber pasta
- 24 oz of spaghetti sauce, choose your favorite type
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded romano or parmesan cheese
- 1 cups ricotta cheese (I’ve used up to 2 cups of ricotta when I have extra in the fridge)
- 1 raw egg
- 2 sweet Italian sausage links cooked and cut up into small pieces, if you like
- 1 can of mushrooms, if you like
- Italian seasoning, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray (or line with Reynolds non-stick pan lining paper for easiest cleanup).
Cook the pasta according to package directions to al dente firmness. Drain well. Do not over cook as the past will continue to soften in the oven. In a separate large bowl, lightly beat egg. Add spaghetti sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta, sausage, mushrooms, and seasoning. Stir in pasta and mix until well coated. Bake for 55 minutes. Serves 6.
If you like food with a kick, use hot Italian sausage, add some crushed red pepper flakes and a bit of minced garlic. It’s pretty good!