“This is the family that we are, and we’ve got each other, and I believe that is more than enough.” Jeanne Darst
My therapist always makes me start off every session by listing 4 things that are going well in my life. I always find myself dashing up the stairs to her office thinking, “Crap! I need to come up with the 4 good things!”
Why is this so hard?
My therapist swears she makes everyone do this, not just me, and she wouldn’t make everyone do it if this weren’t something we are all guilty of – having trouble looking at all the good in our lives.
And did you see the Dove Beauty post that was floating around the internet over the last couple of weeks? The one where they show the difference in the pictures drawn based on a woman’s description of herself versus those drawn based on the description of a stranger? It was crazy to see how much more beautiful strangers find us than we find ourselves.
That is jacked up, my friends.
Do you have any idea how amazing and gorgeous you are?
How many difficult things you get done every day – feeding picky eaters; getting up early to simultaneously prepare breakfast, pack lunches, find lost socks, sign homework and get everyone out the door; and the hundreds of other multi-tasking details that you stay on top of?
You’re An Awesome Single Mom!
You are a ROCK STAR.
You are kicking ass and taking names every day of the week. Kid lost his left cleat? You know where it is. No one at the office knows the name of the guy that came and did that thing for us? You know where to find him. Need to pick up something for dinner – ooh, and milk for the morning – in between picking up kids from school and getting to tutoring, while still managing to feed everyone before 8pm, with at least one fresh vegetable making it to plate? You’re on it.
Yes, this stuff sounds small and unimportant. But it’s not; it’s the stuff that makes life work.
The stuff that makes life good.
You only think it’s small and unimportant because so many other women are doing the same thing every day. That’s my point – how amazing is this planet that so many people are out there every day doing all these small things that come together and made good lives for our families?
How good is this life right now? Will you tell someone else how awesome they are? Let’s shift the conversation. Let’s stop talking about all the places where we aren’t satisfying our inner critic and start noticing and appreciating each other for the things we do to make life good for each other.
I’ll start – thank you for finding time to read this. I know you are busy and I am so grateful you are here. Now, it’s your turn.
Go get ‘em, rock star.
Single Mom Affirmations…Repeat After Me!
1. If I do nothing today besides hug my kids, then I’ve done enough.
2. I’m not the perfect mother, but I’m exactly the one my children need.
3. Today I will see the best in my child and the best in myself.
4. The decisions made by other moms do not need to dictate mine.
5. I have been called to motherhood—the most powerful calling in the world.
6. I respect my children; I respect myself.
7. Being a good mom takes courage, and today I’m feeling brave.
8. My mothering body is beautiful.
9. Today I will be the type of person I would like my children to become.
10. There’s value in showing my kids my vulnerability.
11. Not loving every moment of motherhood doesn’t mean I don’t love being a mom.