Married men who want to cheat thing divorced women are easy pickings. Let’s prove them wrong!
The Ashley Madison hack may have pulled back the curtain so the world could see the depth and volume of cheating, but the reality is it’s not the only venue for a married man with a wandering eye. There are scores of fake ads posted by married men on traditional dating sites such Match, OkCupid and Plenty of Fish. I can personally attest to this having fallen prey to these married cheaters.
An online dating veteran, I considered myself somewhat savvy about such matters until I accidentally had several encounters with men who omitted their marital status from their profiles. Some confessed on the first date, hoping the chemistry would be so electrifying that I would empathize with their “sexless marriage” or for having “married young.” Others were much more deceptive and strung me along with fancy dinners and suggestions of weekend getaways until I pieced the clues together.
One can shrug off a man who shaves a few pounds or years from their online profile. However, to have your heart teased with the prospect of love and companionship by a married man is painful.
So what are signs that indicate he might be married?
If any of the following signs come up, you’ll want to proceed with caution before pursuing any sort of relationship.
1. He’s too good to be true. Often his credentials read like that of a married man—good job, financially secure, socially apt—making you wonder why some lucky lady hasn’t already snatched him out of the market. Well, someone has and she’s called a wife
2. He’s the most charming man you’ve met. He is a smooth talker who knows exactly what to say and do to manipulate the situation to his advantage. He opens doors, remembers your drink, and buys you flowers. He will be so enthralled with your beauty, wit, and intelligence you’ll feel giddy from the attention.
3. He comes on strong. Unlike single men on the dating scene who have been burned and have their egos to protect, the married man has nothing to lose if rejected. He has his wife waiting at home, so it will be a full-court press when in pursuit.
4. He’s a talker. After 20 years of marriage, the wife has heard all his lame stories about his motorcycle trip across Europe or his tennis victory at the club. When he discovers your tender ear, it’s like a thirsty man finding a glass of water in a desert. Rather than the short spiffy e-mails, he’s a Chatty Cathy with long lengthy paragraphs, followed-up with rounds of texts.
5. Conversations, dates, and texts end abruptly. Suddenly in the middle of a deep conversation or an e-mail exchange, the communication ends with some lame excuse like, “My neighbor is at the door.” Then it could be hours – or even days – before you hear back. It simply means the wife walked in and he had to hang up pronto.
6. He’s eager to make a date. Single guys want to ascertain you’re Starbucks-worthy before they make plans and dinner is typically off limits for first date. They can also can be corresponding with several other women online and weighing their options. On a tight schedule and usually more financially stable, married men want to meet as soon as possible. Those craving the romance they are missing at home don’t mind splurging on that trendy new restaurant.
7. He gives you one phone number if any at all. Though more people are dismantling their home landline and relying on their cell, most people have more than one number. If he only wants you to call during work hours or on his cell, take it as a sign.
8. He has a strange explanation for everything. He’ll have lame excuses for not calling or canceling a date at the last minute. He had to take the dog to the vet, take his sister to the hospital, fix the leak in his roof.
9. Your gut tells you something isn’t right. Intuitively you feel something is off and that the facts don’t add up. When in doubt, trust your instincts. And, run for the hills.